Engineer by day, beadweaver by night (mostly), I like to look for answers to questions.
How do things work? What inspires you? What do you wonder about?
Explore the journey to creativity together.


Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Here There Be Monsters

Last summer I went to the Salem Art Fair with my family.  My youngest son was especially excited by all the sculpture on display.  Until we went to that fair, I had not realized how much my son loves sculpture.  He is very gregarious, so he talked to many of the artists and asked them about their art.

One of the artists he met was George Heath of Funker Market.  He makes alien monsters that have completely charmed my son.  My son has saved his allowance to buy George's monsters and has also asked for them for his birthday.  He likes to make up stories about them.  He keeps them in a special place in his room.


Darkness Elemental Wearing Unholy Armor

This weekend, we found polymer clay on sale.  I bought some for the kids and let them go to town.  Both my sons decided to make monsters, inspired by George.  You can kind of see George's work in the background of this picture.

Lava Elemental with Shiny Sharp Rocks

George has a shop on Etsy.  He makes sculptures and cards that are full of character.  My son and I love the funky, funny way he describes his pieces.  This Bombastic Sextipod is one of my son's favorites right now.


 So thank you to George for inspiring my sons and getting them interested in art!

How about you, dear readers?  Have you ever been inspired by anyone?

10 comments:

  1. My grandson, age 9, was inspired by ME! I do crafts and craft shows and he told his mom just the other day that he wanted to make things and sell them, just like G'Ma! So he is going to make polymer beads! But then, he has always loved boing creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! You must be so proud of your grandson :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool that your son got excited by someone's artwork! I love your sons clay sculptures too : ) Off to check out George's shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son's shop is awesome! I'm constantly inspired by so many of my favorite artists on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great that your sons are learning to appreciate art :) Their sculptures are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, you are right, the descriptions on those sculptures are so funny!! I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them - they come straight from my son too. When I showed him this post, he wanted me to add them.

      Delete
  7. Thanks everyone for your nice comments - you all have also encouraged my son to keep sculpting. He was very excited by your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun sculptures! Perhaps your son will one day sell his on Etsy like George does? ^.^

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts, questions and stories!