Engineer by day, beadweaver by night (mostly), I like to look for answers to questions.
How do things work? What inspires you? What do you wonder about?
Explore the journey to creativity together.


Monday, September 26, 2011

Serendipity

Sometimes little special moments crop up at inconvenient times, when it doesn't fit our schedules to stop and enjoy them.  I had a situation like this last week.  I was running late to my car pool.  I needed to get my kids to the sitter and get going to work.  I had just gotten everyone herded out to the car when my youngest said, "Look, balloons!"


At that moment, I had a choice.  I could say, "That's-nice-now-get-in-the-car."  Some days I do.  This day, I ran back into the house and got a camera.  There were four hot air balloons that appeared to be landing at an airfield near our house.  I took a few moments to enjoy them with my kids and snapped some photos.  Then I stuffed the camera into my purse, and off we went.


Fast forward to the evening, when I finished work.  I work in the center of a large building.  Whether I am at my desk or in the cleanroom, I generally cannot see a window.  This day was not uncommon; I had worked 9 or 10 hours without stopping for breaks or lunch.  When I first step outside into the parking lot, it is such a release to see the outdoors again.  We have a beautiful campus (I really should take more breaks).  I often see some scene that just seems breathtakingly beautiful and think, I wish I had a camera.

Well, this time I did have a camera!  I took some photos of the way the light was slanting across a dry field and through a copse of trees.


If I hadn't stopped to enjoy the balloons with my kids, I wouldn't have had the camera to capture this scene after work.  Two happy moments for the price of one :)

Have you had any moments of serendipity?  I'd love to hear about it.



9 comments:

  1. Your post put a smile on my face :) Thanks for the reminder to slow down once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the moments that put joy in a day and create memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post, those are the moments that add sweet memories to our lives! Great pictures, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what nice moments! I can't really say I've had any of those lately - maybe I need to pay more attention to my surroundings. :) I love your pics, especially little squirrel! Glad you were able to finally enjoy the outside after so much working!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww I wish I could have seen hot air balloons. That's so cool.
    I also LOVE the tree shot. So gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hot air balloons make me think about when I was a freshman in college. Me and a friend decided at the last minute to drive from Lubbock, TX to New Mexico for the weekend just because. On our way there we started looking for a hotel to stay at and realized that it was the hot air balloon festival! There were no hotels to be found except for in a little town called Moriarty where we were able to attend the Pinto Bean festival!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't think of any right now, but that does happen to me now and again. Sometimes, it's nice to just take a step back and enjoy life.

    Fickle Cattle
    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome pictures! That is exactly why I keep my camera in my purse at all times! Some of my favorite photos are from where I made Brian (I'm sure he was thrilled every time) pull off the road so I can get a picture.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts, questions and stories!