Engineer by day, beadweaver by night (mostly), I like to look for answers to questions.
How do things work? What inspires you? What do you wonder about?
Explore the journey to creativity together.


Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why I Blog

I recently replied to a forum thread asking why people blogged.  I kind of liked what I wrote, so I thought I would share it ...and this totally unrelated photo of a sunflower from my mother's neighbor's garden :)


I started blogging for the same reason I started Twitter and FB - to promote my shop. I hadn't really participated in social media, and I wanted to try everything to see what suits me.

It took me a while to find my voice and start posting regularly. I have found that I like blogging best over all the other social media activities I have tried. I like to write, and a blog gives me a chance to tell the whole story, from start to finish.

I also really like the people I have met by following other blogs. They are funny, kind and interesting! I love the fact that they come from many parts of the world.

Blogging has made me look at my life a little differently. Now, as I go through my day, I try to look at what I'm doing through the eyes of a stranger. Would this be interesting to another person? If so, can I photograph it somehow? I find I am taking a lot more family photos as well. I can see how some people might find this process tiresome, but I like it. It wakes me up from my routine and makes me really pay attention.

As for how it has affected my shop... I am more visible on the web since I started posting and commenting regularly. I get feedback on what's interesting and what people would like to see. Some of my jewelry has an involved backstory. I can link from my listing to by blog entry about it and vise versa. I don't have any sales due to blogging, but I still think it is helping in an indirect way.

I'm pretty new, and I know I've just barely tapped into the possibilities of blogging. I'm still trying to absorb all the good advice out there. I recently saw a really good hub page on crafting blogs my one of my team-mates on the Etsy Beadweavers team:
starrynightsdiva.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Get-Traffic-to-Your-Craft-...
I really like the way she does her blog - she is very engaging and friendly:
www.randomcreativeart.com/


So thank you to all of you who have helped make blogging a great experience.  You are a wonderful community.  Speaking of which, why do you blog?  Do you have a story behind how you got started?



12 comments:

  1. Hi Connie,

    I remember when I tentatively started blogging way back in 2008. I only joined FB and Twitter recently and like you I like blogging best. Blogging has opened up a whole new world for me, and I've met tons of interesting, creative and kind-hearted people :)
    Although the process of building a blog is slow I prefer it over the fast-paced activities on the other social networking sites.
    Nice photo, btw!!!

    best,
    Duni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my blog for the same reason...to promote my shop :) But it has turned into so much more than that! I too enjoy blogging over any other form of social networking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started my blog to promote my art in anticipation of learning to sell online. As a self taught artist, I wanted to make potential buyers more comfortable with me and my art. Then I found Etsy. :) Having an Etsy shop has helped me focus my blog and learn to take much better photos. I like telling the story of what goes on behind my easel.
    Like all of you, I've met interesting and really nice people through my blog. I think a blog is more personal with the longer posts and comments.
    And your photo with that aqua sky is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly!! I love looking back when I first started blogging in 2008 to see what I was up to and how much my work has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started my blog to promote my shop. What keeps me going is being featured by some of my favorite blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was super hesitant to start blogging, full of fear of having nothing to say (those who know me well will get a laugh out of that) or even worse, no one interested in listening. But I gradually became convinced that it was a necessary evil if I were going to have an online shop. That "evil" has quickly become almost as much of a passion as the craft that prompted me to start! I just don't feel like myself on a blogless day and it has become about so much more than marketing. Now I want to write more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your stories, Duni, Edi, Kathy, Stela, Tricia, and Nancy! I've enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was very nervous about starting my blog too, and like Scrappy above - full fear of having nothing to say, and of people finding it boring. Not sure I've really found my voice yet, and it's not done much for selling my jewelry as I'm still hesitant to blog about my work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've enjoyed reading your blog, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still rather new at blogging :), so the nerves are still there :), I do find that talking about things are hard which is not like me . Glad to know I am not the only nervous blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've enjoyed your blog too, Shonette! And I learned something new from you the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually got started blogging because people wanted to see my "portfolio" of work, and I figured that a blog was a good way to do it. That way, I could always have the most up-to-date portfolio available. It's fun too, and I'm still learning more about it. I enjoy seeing what other's blog about as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts, questions and stories!